After a long day at work, the last thing you want is to cook dinner. But you cannot stay without food the whole night, right? And how many days you will order food from outside? What if you can make a dish, particularly a soup that not only makes you full but also is easy to prepare? Well, you can prepare a spicy pumpkin soup within half an hour. This flavorful soup will make you prepare it every other day.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
The taste and aroma of this soup will make your child eat it without fuss. The good thing is you can prepare it and store it in the fridge in an air-tight container for a week.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
- Unsalted butter – 1 tbsp
- Yellow onion – 1 ½ cups, chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
- Ginger – 2 tsp, minced
- Yellow curry powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ¾ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon – just a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Chicken stock – 4 cups (if you are a vegetarian, you can use vegetable stock)
- Water – 1 cup
- Black pepper powder – 1/8 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Pumpkin puree – 3 ½ cups
- Yogurt – for garnishing
- Pumpkin seeds – toasted, for garnishing
How To Make Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- Place a heavy-bottomed pan on medium flame and add the butter. As soon as the butter melts, add the chopped onion and fry till they are translucent. Add the minced ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now mix the cumin powder, coriander powder, curry powder and season it with salt. Stir them for about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the chicken stock. Add the bay leaves and pumpkin puree along with water. Give them a stir and let it cook on a medium flame for about 15 minutes. If you see that the soup has become too thick, you can add more stock or water and cook for a few more minutes.
- When done, take out the bay leaves and pour the soup into a blender. Blend it till you get a smooth concoction.
- Your spicy pumpkin soup is ready. Add a dollop of fresh cream, a dash of black pepper and mix with the soup. Now pour the soup in the serving bowls and garnish with yogurt and toasted pumpkin seeds.
If you want you can buy the pumpkin puree from the market. But you can easily make it at your home. For that, you need a sugar pumpkin, then cut it in half and remove the seeds. Take a baking tray and cover it with a baking foil. Place the halved pumpkin on it and bake for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. It might take one hour as well. When done, take the tray out and let the pumpkin cool down. Then scoop the flesh put and make a puree in the blender. You can keep this puree for over a month in the fridge in an air-tight container.
So, now you know how to make pumpkin soup with various spices. Be it a chilly evening or a summer night, a bowl of hot pumpkin soup will make your tummy happy.