Spicy mayonnaise is a wonderful spread that you can use in burgers or sandwiches. A bowl of French fries along with spicy mayonnaise is a mouthwatering combination. You can effortlessly make it in your home. It takes only 5 minutes, and you can store the spicy mayo for almost one week in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Spicy Mayonnaise Recipe
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 5 minutes
- Mayonnaise – ½ cup
- Sriracha sauce – 3 tsp
- Sambal oelek – 2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp (you can use lime juice as well)
How To Make
Take a bowl and add the mayonnaise along with sambal oelek, Sriracha sauce, and lemon juice and blend them properly. Your spicy mayo is ready. Taste the seasoning and spiciness. If you want, you can add more Sriracha sauce or sambal oelek.
- Adjust the quantity of Sriracha or sambal according to the spiciness that you need.
- You should make the dip in advance, at least a few hours. And keep it in the fridge till you want to serve it.
- You can serve this spicy as well as flavorful mayonnaise with fried seafood, raw veggies, crab cakes, crispy chicken, fritters, etc.
- If you do not get sambal oelek, you can use Asian chili garlic sauce.
Here I have used mayonnaise that I have brought from the store. But you can make the mayonnaise in your home. Believe me, the home versions are far better than the ones available in the store. And you can make it within 10 minutes.
- Egg – 1, large (it should be at room temperature)
- Olive oil – 1.25 cups
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp, ground
- Salt – as needed
- Lemon – 2 tbsp, fresh (it should also be at room temperature)
- In the food processor or a mixer, pour 1/4 cup of oil. Add the salt, egg along with the ground mustard seeds. Bend them for about 30 seconds so that you get a smooth mixture. It will have a light yellow color.
- Gradually, pour the remaining oil into the mixture till it becomes thick as well as emulsified. This way, the mayonnaise will be creamier.
- Now mix the lemon juice it and blend them again for only 10 seconds. Your mayonnaise is ready.
- You can add any spice in it as you like. For making it spicy, you can add Sriracha and sambal oelek, or black pepper and garlic sauce. You can also make it spicy by adding chili powder along with garlic sauce.
- You can keep it in the fridge for about five days in an air-tight container.
- It is not ideal for keeping it in the freezer as this break the emulsion. Besides that, when you will thaw it, the texture will become chunky.
- The above mayonnaise recipe doesn’t use any dairy products, and it is also free of gluten.
- Do not use extra virgin olive oil as this will make the mayo bitter. And the flavor is so strong that you cannot have it.
- You can use any neutral oil or sunflower oil in place of olive oil.