Hot tamales are tasty to eat. But do you know how to make it at your home? If not, then this article will guide you thoroughly. Have a look:
Preparation time – 1 hour
Cooking time – 4 hours
Ingredients For Hot Tamales
For The Meat Filling
- Garlic powder – 1 tbsp
- Paprika – 1 tbsp
- Smoked paprika – 1 tbsp
- Chili powder – ¼ cup
- Salt – as needed
- Onion powder – 1 tbsp
- Cayenne pepper – 2 ½ sp
- Black pepper powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Boston butt meat – 2 pounds, untrimmed
- Vegetable oil – ½ cup
- Garlic – 4 cloves, minced
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Jalapeno pepper – 1, minced
- Dried corn husks – 5 dozens
The Cornmeal Dough
- Yellow cornmeal – 2 pounds
- Lard – 7 ½ ounces
- Reserved cooking liquid – 4 cups
- Baking powder – 1 tbsp
How To Make The Hot Tamales
- Take a small bowl and add the chili powder, salt, black pepper, paprika, and smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Mix all the spices and divide them into two laves. Keep one half of the mixture to use later.
- Now take the Boston meat and cut it into six equal pieces and put them in a big saucepan. Pour water into it so that the pieces are dipped in the water and mix one half of the spice mixture with the water. Put the saucepan on high flame. As soon as the water starts to boil, reduce the heat and let the meat cook on low flame till they are soft. It might take about 2 – 2/1 hours.
- When done, remove the pan from the flame and separate the meat and the liquid. Let them cool for some time. Once the meat is cooled, shred them using your hands or forks.
- Now put another saucepan on the heat and pour the vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and fry for a few minutes. Add the minced garlic along with minced jalapeno and the remaining half of the spice mixture. Cook them for a few minutes and add the shredded meat.
- Mix with the onion and garlic and let it cook for about 3 minutes. When done, take the saucepan off from the heat.
- In the meantime, take a large bowl of hot water and dip the cornmeal husks in it. Keep it aside for about 1 – ½ hours till the husks are soft.
Making The Dough
In another bowl, add the cornmeal along with lard, salt, and baking powder. Mix them well and gradually pour the cooking liquid that you kept after boiling the meat. Make sure the dough looks like mashed potatoes. It should be moist enough. Now put a lid on the bowl and keep it aside for some time.
Now Assembling The Hot Tamales
- Take one husk out of the hot water and pat it dry with a kitchen towel. Put 2 tbsp of dough in it and spread evenly. Now put 1 tbsp of meat mixture in the center of the dough. Roll it in such a way that the dough surrounds the meat. Fold the two ends of the husks so that the mixtures do not come out. Fill remaining husks similarly.
- Take kitchen twines and tie them. In the saucepan where you have cooked the meat, add them and pour the remaining liquid. Put it again on heat and let them cook for about 1 hour on low flame so that the dough becomes stiff.
- Your hot tamales are ready to serve.